Monday, December 30, 2013

Wrapping up 2013

I haven't posted in forever... sorry. That's life for ya!

Since I posted last in September (yikes!), not much has happened that's been too exciting directly for us, but we've been going along. My little guy is now officially a 4-y/o, and thankfully along with that has come some reasoning. Boy was he tough for a while there. They say that the "terrible twos" are the worst, but with Preston it was definitely the Terrible Threes. Testing, testing, testing! His adjustment to preschool paralleled how he was doing at home, so it wasn't the easiest transition. Thankfully his teachers were in communication with us throughout the months, and we were able to work with him at home and school to get him on track. From what we've heard, he is a thousand times better at school now, which makes sense since he is the same at home. Back to his sweet, goofy self that we really missed for a little while there!

And Rose... My dad calls her "Little Miss Me Too," which about sums her up. She is a spitfire, this one. Already talking like crazy, and fiercely independent... unless she wants to do something that Preston is doing. It's so funny seeing the two of them together, and at times exhausting, but I'm confident to say that my kids are going to be very close as they grow up. Knowing that we're probably done at two, I'm happy that the two I have will be good friends.

Skip's back on track at work (thanks to what sounds like some butt-kicking to those responsible for the schedule...), which has been so much more manageable. Basically 5 days on, 8 days off. His work days fall over every other weekend, but at least it's been consistent. We had a few months where it was just killing us to be back and forth and running around so inconveniently. It's hard enough to be managing a family when one person is on a third shift, let alone a third shift that jumps around. That's basically the single most stress-inducing aspect of our lives, so if we can have his schedule be predictable, our lives are a whole lot more predictable.

Our Christmas was good, celebrating with Mannings on Sunday night, then we got to do the typical Preston Christmas Eve (hosted by Cederlunds this year), then Christmas morning with the Eckels. I am STOKED for my new hedge trimmer, lol. Gotta love getting older, when you get excited about gardening implements. Rose is now stocked with enough baby dolls to last her through toddlerhood. The same goes for Preston with cars and planes. Rumor has it my dad is looking to take him to EAA next summer...

We also welcomed a new niece into the family - London Marie Manning joins mom Erin, dad Tom (Skip's brother) and siblings Sawyer and Nova out in California :).

Famous last words, but it looks like we have a pretty quiet January/February coming up. Preston starts swimming lessons again, so that should be fun for him. I'm hoping to be able to reconnect with some people soon - I've been feeling very out-of-touch with pretty much everyone except my family lately. Crossing my fingers that it works out. This year went by so fast. While I'm so excited to see what 2014 brings, I wish it would slow down a little! Now I know what my mom meant when she said she "lost a few years" when her kids were little. I don't want to lose this time!



No comments:

Post a Comment