Thursday, September 12, 2013

My baby isn't such a baby anymore!

It's really hard for me to believe that it was 4 years ago that we were expecting Preston. So much has changed in so many ways for us since that time, and we've learned a lot! And now he's off to school! I know it's just preschool, but it's still amazing to see him off doing something really just for him. He has been so excited about it, too. We lucked out with him starting a week later than the local schools, because all of his "back to school" gear was totally marked down at the store by the time we got there. Sunday we made trips to Target and Kohls to get his Lightning McQueen packback (yes, he switches the b and p), new sneakers and a couple of new outfits to start the year off right. (On a side note, Kohls was interesting. I had Rose on my back and Preston in the cart. Throughout the course of the shopping trip, Rose successfully pulled an entire stack of jeans off a shelf while I was picking up a shirt Preston had pulled down, and I cleaned up an entire baggie of spilled pretzels off the floor.)

I dropped Preston off at Curiosity Corner at 9 on Monday, and he couldn't have done better. He went right to his spot to sit down, and immediately started chatting with the little girl next to him. No tears, no clinging to my leg - just blew me a kiss from the doorway, and I was off. I was so proud of him. I saved the tears for the car. ;) We had a couple of pre-preschool meetings and sneek peeks last week to prepare both us and him, but it was still a little bittersweet dropping him off that first day.

Both kids have also finally outgrown their carseats (we milked that 32 lb, 32 inch limit on the darn infant seat for Rose as long as we could...), so they are both excited to be in new ones (well Rose got Preston's). Luckily our small breed of children allowed us to use the little seats far longer than we'd ever expect.

We had a long weekend up in Algoma over the Labor Day holiday, which was fun. The weather cooperated splendidly, so we were able to spend most of our time outside. Enjoyed a little day trip up to Door County as always, but actually spent most of our time in Algoma this time. Such a friendly and low-key little town.

Skip's had a screwy schedule the past few weeks (urgh Elmbrook...), so between that, Preston's school stuff, Knightwind starting back up, and Skip's new band rehearsals (this new group is AWESOME, by the way...), I've felt like my eyes have been on the calendar constantly, trying to keep on top of things even more obsessively than normal. It'll be nice to get back into a better routine next month, once things get going and Skip gets his better shifts back. I don't know, I've felt awfully out of the loop with everyone lately...

No comments:

Post a Comment